Moving home is said to up there with one of the most stressful life events you will experience. This does not need to be the case!
Decluttering and organising help when moving home is a real deal-breaker when it comes to reducing the stress of a move. With your time and energy seriously under pressure during a move, our organisers can help you in many ways:
Before you move:
- work with you to declutter and organise your possession so you are ready for your move
After your move:
- unpack your possessions and declutter and/or organise them so that everything has a place in your home which works for your lifestyle;
- recommend storage solutions to help maximise space – they will discuss your requirements with you, measure your space, research bespoke storage solutions and then send you links to recommended products for you to decide whether to buy or not; and/or
- follow up sessions if you would like a hand implementing suggested storage solutions or decluttering / organising.
Before you move
We strongly recommend starting decluttering a few months or weeks in advance of your move. It does take time particularly if you have lived in your current home for a long time – it’s amazing how much stuff we accumulate and spaces we fill! Giving yourself enough time will help you feel less stressed.
The other benefits to decluttering before you move are:
- Selling your current home quicker (if you are ahead of the game and declutter before you put your home on the market!) Prospective buyers want to be able to picture themselves in your home and they are nosy so cupboards will be looked into! The more crammed your storage spaces, the more off-putting to potential buyers as they will worry their possessions won’t fit the space either.
- Saving money – removal companies charge for how much stuff is being moved so it makes sense that the less you have, the less it will cost you!
- Making money – when decluttering you may come across things you can sell on eBay, Facebook marketplace and other sites. Selling things takes time and patience so giving yourself enough time to do this is crucial.
- Enjoying your new home – it will be much easier to organise your belongings if you don’t have to unpack lots of items you no longer need or want.
After you move
Of course, it is not always possible to declutter and organise all your belongings before you move and that’s not a problem! However, it does make sense to do this as soon as possible before items settle into less than satisfactory "homes" and so that you can find everything easily day to day.
Top tips for moving home:
- Write down areas / categories of items which need the most attention for decluttering and prioritise them.
- Diarise blocks of time when you can focus on e.g. sorting through items by category or room.
- Take measurements of the storage space in your new home. Make a note on a floor plan of where plug sockets, doors and radiators are so you can decide which items of furniture you will bring with you.
- Be realistic about the space in your new home and what you really want to surround yourself with. This is a chance for a fresh start!
Make the most of your move
There is so much to do when you move home, it makes sense to get a helping hand. You can then settle into your new home and start enjoying it as soon as possible.
If you are getting ready to move or have moved but still have boxes to be unpacked or items to find homes, book one of our organisers today to help you or get in touch by phone 07307858403 or email: email@example.com if you have any questions.